The ballot I submitted to the Associated Press for this week’s college football Top25:
1. Alabama (7-0; Last week: 1; Actual rank: 1)
The Tide crushed Tennessee 49-10 in one of their most impressive games of the season. Nick Saban’s crew is clearly the best team in the country right now.
2. Ohio State (6-0; LW: 3; Actual: 2)
It took OT to get it done, but winning at Wisconsin was impressive for the Buckeyes.
3. Clemson (7-0; LW: 2; Actual: 4)
It took OT to get it done, and that wasn’t impressive against North Carolina State. Tigers were a decent kick away from getting knocked down several notches.
4. Michigan (6-0; LW: 4; Actual: 3)
Wolverines had a bye week, but still probably scored a few touchdowns against Rutgers in the process.
5. Washington (6-0; LW: 5; Actual: 5)
Huskies had a bye week after crushing Oregon the week before.
6. Louisville (5-1; LW: 6; Actual: 7)
The Cardinals escaped against Duke in their least impressive outing the season, but they got it done.
7. Texas A&M (6-0; LW: 7; Actual: 6)
Aggies were another team on a bye. A battle with Alabama looms this week.
8. Baylor (6-0; LW: 8; Actual: 9)
Bears weren’t on a bye, but it sorta felt like it, as they rolled past Kansas 49-7.
9. Oklahoma (4-2; LW: 12; Actual: 16)
I have the Sooners higher than any other voter. Despite two early losses, I think this team has elite talent. They rolled past a good K-State team and may not lose again.
10. Nebraska (6-0; LW: 13; Actual: 8)
I’m not sure this Nebraska team is really THIS good, but it’s tough to argue with the results to this point. Back-to-back games at Wisconsin and Ohio State in a couple of weeks will tell us a lot about the Corn.
11. Wisconsin (4-2; LW: 10; Actual: 10)
After two straight 1-score losses to Michigan and Ohio State, the Badgers could get on a roll.
12. Florida State (5-2; LW: 14; Actual: 13)
This team is tough to figure out. They’ve got top-5 talent, but are so unpredictable each week.
13. Boise State (6-0; LW: 16; Actual: 14)
Broncos survived a late rally by Colorado State. This week’s home date with BYU might be their toughest remaining test.
14. Florida (5-1; LW: 18; Actual: 15)
Gators finished the easier part of their schedule with a solid record. The road gets tougher from here on out.
15. Houston (6-1; LW 17; Actual: 11)
Cougars responded to their loss to Navy by just getting past Tulsa. They need to pick up their game to keep winning.
16. Arkansas (5-2; LW: 25; Actual: 17)
The Hogs got a great win against Ole Miss. Their only losses are to A&M and Alabama.
17. Auburn (4-2; LW: 19; Actual: 21)
Tigers had a bye last week, but have been rolling along with three wins in a row.
18. Tennessee (5-2; LW: 9; Actual: 18)
A 39-point loss to Alabama proved this team isn’t ready to be considered elite.
19. West Virginia (5-0; LW: 22; Actual: 12)
I’m having a hard time buying into this team, but a 31-point win at Texas Tech was impressive.
20. Utah (6-1; LW: 23; Actual: 19)
The Utes were rather unimpressive in Corvallis on Saturday, but they keep winning games.
21. Mississippi (3-3; LW: 11; Actual: 23)
This is a really good team with some really tough losses, but at 3-3, they don’t deserve the top 20.
22. North Carolina (5-2; LW: not ranked; Actual: 22)
Tar Heels got back onto my ballot with an impressive road win against Miami.
23. Miami (4-2; LW: 15; Actual: not ranked)
I had the ‘Canes at No. 9 just two weeks ago, but back-to-back losses hurts, even if they came against Florida State and UNC by a combined eight points.
24. Western Michigan (7-0; LW: 24; Actual: 20)
The Broncos have two wins against Big Ten teams – on the road – and they’re rolling through the MAC.
25. Colorado (5-2; LW: not ranked; Actual: not ranked)
Buffs proved a lot with how they powered past a 5-1 Arizona State team last week.
Virginia Tech (4-2; LW: 20) – A very uninspiring effort by the Hokies, losing 31-17 to Syracuse after jumping into the Top 25 last week.
Georgia (4-3; LW: 21) – I can forgive a loss at Ole Miss and a fluke, Hail Mary loss to Tennessee. A home loss to Vanderbilt is a different story.
Knocking on the door (3 teams I have next in line)
Navy (4-1; Actual: No. 24): The Midshipmen had their game with East Carolina postponed due to weather. They’ll have a chance at a big win against Memphis this week.
Oklahoma State (4-2): Cowboys had a bye last week and get Kansas this week as a tune-up for West Virginia.
Washington State (4-2): I love how this team is playing. I just can’t get past that FCS loss to Eastern Washington to start the season. They could change my mind with a win at Arizona State this week.
Contact staff writer Brian Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter.com/BrianHowell33.