It all happened very quickly last week, as Sheriron Jones, seemingly out of the blue, transferred from Tennessee to Colorado.

Leading up to the news of Jones’ transfer leaking on Thursday, Jan. 7, there was no speculation about him coming to Boulder. The timeline of events leading to the talented quarterback coming to Colorado was swift.

So, how exactly did Jones wind up in Boulder? I asked that question to the Buffs’ new co-offensive coordinator Darrin Chiaverini this week, and he described how it all played out.

First off, in a conversation with Jones last week, he told me he had been considering leaving Tennessee throughout this past season and told Vols head coach Butch Jones of his intentions shortly after Tennessee played in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1.

Sheriron Jones had also told me that the reason he was interested in CU was because he built a good relationship with Buffs head coach Mike MacIntyre when MacIntyre recruited Jones out of high school. Jones made an unofficial visit to CU in February of 2014 and had a chance to meet MacIntyre and co-offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren at that time.

When CU hired Chiaverini away from Texas Tech last month, that made CU even more appealing.

“I had recruited Sheriron out of high school,” Chiaverini said. “I liked him at Texas Tech when I was there and I’ve seen him work out. What’s good is that he had already taken an unofficial here before. Those relationships (with MacIntyre and Lindgren) were already there. Once he saw I was going to Colorado, it just made sense for him.”

Chiaverini’s long-standing friendship with Pete Duffy, Jones’ coach at Rancho Verde (Calif.) High School, was pivotal, as well.

At some point prior to Jan. 7, Chiaverini received a phone call from Duffy, who expressed Jones’ desire to transfer to CU.

“Coach Duff and I go way back,” Chiaverini said. “He called me and I told him, ‘I can’t do anything until he gets his release. We can’t even talk.'”

That phone call was CU’s first indication that Jones was interested, however.

On Jan. 7, Jones got his release from Tennessee, and Duffy called Chiaverini again.

“Once he got his release and Duff contacted me, I knew we could move forward,” Chiaverini said. “It moved quickly once he got his release.”

Apparently the process went through Chiaverini. Jones told me on Thursday night he had yet to speak with MacIntyre, which wasn’t a surprise because MacIntyre’s father had passed away just two days earlier and he was in Tennessee while this all played out. George MacIntyre’s funeral was held on Saturday.

After getting his release on Thursday, Jones spent Thursday night filling out his application and financial aid paperwork. He got that submitted to CU on Friday and was accepted into school quickly. One of CU’s academic staff members told me she had never seen that process move so fast.

The urgency was there, however, because the start of the new semester was just three days away. Jones was accepted, flew to Colorado in time for a team meeting on Sunday night and was in the classroom on Monday.

Now that the whirlwind is over, Chiaverini is thrilled to have Jones, a dual threat quarterback who earned a four-star rating out of high school. Jones has to sit out 2016, but will have three years of eligibility, starting in 2017.

“He throws it really, really well and he can move,” Chiaverini said. “I knew we needed a quarterback in that 2017 class to make everything click. It was good. It worked out for both parties.”

Contact staff writer Brian Howell at or