The University of Colorado Nordic team could not complete the comeback for the Colorado ski program at the Utah Invitational in West Yellowstong, Mont., where CU finished as runner up in its second team meet of the season.
The Buffs recorded podium finishes from Hedda Baangman and Petter Reistad (both placed third) on Friday in the 15/20K freestyle races that were held at the Rendezvous Ski Trails.
Colorado, which trailed meet winner Denver by 56 points entering the Nordic portion of the Invite, had closed to within six points on Thursday, but the Pioneers edged the Buffs in both the men's and freestyle races Friday to claim a 14-point win over CU. DU finished with 650 points to Colorado's 636 and host Utah finished in third with 599 ½ points.
It was a tight race down the finish in the men's race with the first three all crossing he finish line within 2.8 seconds of each other. Utah's Hakon Hjelstuen won the 20K race with a time of 54:01.1. Then Denver's Dag Frode Trolleboe was able to beat out CU's Reistad at the finish line by 1.1 seconds for second. The podium finish for Reistad, a four-time All-American for the Buffs, was the 11th of his career.
CU got more solid performances from freshman Hedda Baangmanand sophomore Anne Siri Lervik, who came in third and fourth place. Baangman's podium finish follows up her win in the 5K classic on Thursday and for Lervik, she matched her finish from Thursday, the two finishes in fourth being her best results of the young season that now has six complete races (four from the two meets and the two qualifiers from up at the U.S. Cross Country Championships held in Anchorage, Alaska right after the New Year).
West Yellowstone, Mont. (Rendezvous Ski Trails)
MEET TEAM STANDINGS (FINAL):
1. Denver 650; 2. Colorado 636; 3. Utah 599½; 4. Montana State 527½; 5. New Mexico 396; 6. Alaska Anchorage 333; 7. Westminster College 224; 8. Alaska Fairbanks 223; 9. Colorado Mountain College 71.
WOMEN'S 15K FREESTYLE (31 finishers)
1. Guro Jordheim, Utah, 45:42.3; 2. Linn Eriksen, DU, 45:43.9; 3. Hedda Baangman, CU, 46:25.3; 4. Anne Siri Lervik, CU, 47:46.5; 5. Emma Tarbath, MSU, 47:49.6; 6. Taeler McCrerey, DU, 47:57.4; 7. Aja Starkey, DU, 48:00.4; 8. Jasmi Joensuu, DU, 48:40.9; 9. Leah Lange, Utah, 48:50.4; 10. Mariah Bredal, Utah, 49:14.4. Other CU Finishers: 12. Petra Hyncicova 49:46.4; 21. Quinn Lehmkuhl 53:28.0; Christina Rolandsen, DNS;
WOMEN'S 15K FREESTYLE TEAM SCORES
1. Denver 89; T-2. Colorado 85; T-2. Utah 85; 4. Montana State 69; 5. Alaska Fairbanks 51; 6. New Mexico 40; 7. Alaska Anchorage 35.
MEN'S 15K FREESTYLE (34 finishers)
1. Hakon Hjelstuen, Utah, 54:01.0; 2. Dag Frode Trollebode, DU, 54:02.7; 3. Petter Reistad, CU, 54:03.9; 4. Martin Bergstroem, Utah, 54:09.8; 5. Evind Kvaale, DU, 54:19.8; 6. Bjorn Riksaasen, Utah, 55:31.6; 7. Alvar Alev, CU, 55:41.8; 8. Arnaud Guyon, UAF, 55:58.8; 9. Sondre Bollum, CU, 56:31.0; 10. Logan Diekmann, Utah, 56:33.7; Other CU Finishers: 18. Andrew Potyk 58:23.2; 19. Ian Boucher 58:34.8.
MEN'S 15K FREESTYLE TEAM SCORES
1. Utah 98; 2. Denver 84; 3. Colorado 81; 4. Alaska Fairbanks 64; 5. Montana State 48; 6. Alaska Anchorage 39; 7. New Mexico 30