Florida State quarterback and Heisman hopeful Jameis Winston will not face any charges in a sexual assault case, mostly because there were too many gaps in his accuser's story, a prosecutor said Thursday.
State Attorney Willie Meggs said the woman's memory lapses about the events last December were problematic and there was not enough evidence to win a conviction.
"It's not inconsistencies, it's lack of memory most of the time," Meggs said.
The woman told police she had been drinking at a bar with friends and went home with a man she didn't know. She said she the alleged assault took place at an off-campus apartment, but she couldn't remember where it was.
A month later, she identified her alleged attacker as the quarterback. Winston's attorney said the sex was consensual.
The quarterback said in a statement he was relieved.
"It's been difficult to stay silent through this process, but I never lost faith in the truth and in who I am," Winston said.
The alleged assault happened long before Winston became a star on the national stage. Reports about an investigation didn't surface in the public until last month, as the redshirt freshman was well into a remarkable season with Florida State.
Winston, 19, has led the Seminoles to a No. 1 ranking and a shot at a national championship if they defeat Duke on Saturday in the ACC title game. As for the Heisman, many voters were waiting to see whether he would be charged before casting their ballot. The deadline is Monday and Winston is considered a leading contender for the trophy for the nation's top player. It will be awarded Dec. 14.
The accuser's family has been sharply critical of the Tallahassee Police Department, accusing the agency of delaying the investigation and discouraging her from going forward with the case because of the public attention it would receive.
"The victim has grave concerns that her experience, as it unfolded in the public eye and through social media, will discourage other victims of rape from coming forward and reporting," according to a statement from the accuser and her family.
Cal signs $18M deal
for stadium naming rights
The University of California has agreed to a nearly $18 million deal with Internet video game maker Kabam for the naming rights to the field at Memorial Stadium.
The school announced the 15-year deal that will make its home field known as "Kabam Field at California Memorial Stadium."
The field name will be placed on the two 25-yard lines of Kabam Field. Kabam will also receive 50-yard-line signage above the Cal bench and additional directional signage at the stadium. The on-field logos and signage are expected to be unveiled this spring.
Kabam co-founder and CEO Kevin Chou is a Cal alum and says he is excited about the partnership. Kabam was recently named the fastest growing Internet media company in the Bay Area for the second consecutive year.
University of Texas president Bill Powers said that the school has not reached out to Alabama's Nick Saban and no decision has been made on the future of Longhorns football coach Mack Brown -- or even a decision on whether any decision must be made.
Duke's David Cutcliffe has been selected coach of the year by the Walter Camp Football Foundation. Cutcliffe has led the 20th-ranked Blue Devils (10-2) to a school record for victories and their first appearance in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game.
No. 15 UCF qualified for the school's first BCS bid with Louisville's victory over Cincinnati. The Knights wrapped up at least a share of the first American Athletic Conference championship last week. The league's automatic BCS bid was locked up Thursday night when the 19th-ranked Cardinals beat the Bearcats 31-24 in overtime.
LSU spokesman Michael Bonnette says freshman football player Jeryl Brazil, who's had several run-ins with the law since September, has been dismissed from the team by coach Les Miles. Bonnette's statement regarding Brazil comes as Baton Rouge police say the 19-year-old former player is wanted on felony charges in connection with a burglary near campus. Brazil is accused of entering an unlocked apartment where two people were asleep and stealing $47.
Two North Carolina State football players face misdemeanor drug charges after police visited their apartment during a sexual battery investigation. N.C. State University police Maj. David Kelly said running back Shadrach Thornton and safety J.J. Jones were cited with misdemeanor simple possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. In a probable cause affidavit for a search warrant, authorities say they were following up on the sexual battery case and named Thornton as the suspect. Kelly says no charges are filed in the battery case.