As always, preseason camp will feature several position battles all over the field. Even presumed starters aren't necessarily going to start. So, competition will happen everywhere. Going into this camp, however, here are five position battles are especially important for the Buffs:
1. Defensive line: All three starting jobs are up for grabs after last year's starters graduated. Seniors Leo Jackson III and Timothy Coleman, juniors Javier Edwards, Jase Franke and Chris Mulumba and sophomores Lyle Tuiloma and Frank Umu are all fighting for playing time. True freshman Terrance Lang could figure into the mix, as well.
2. Cornerback: Junior Isaiah Oliver will start at one spot. The second starter is unknown, and the competition got more interesting with sophomore Anthony Julmisse being arrested late Thursday night. He's been suspended for now, and going into camp, it's unknown if he will be a part of the team this year. He was a front runner to start at the second corner spot. Sophomore Dante Wigley, redshirt freshmen Ronnie Blackmon and Trey Udoffia, as well as true freshman Chris Miller, will compete at corner and nickel. Of that group, Udoffia may have had the best spring.
3. Place kicker: Senior Chris Graham and sophomore walk-on Davis Price had their ups and downs last year. That's why the Buffs added James Stefanou, a 30-year-old freshman from Australia. CU needs one of them to step up and provide some consistency on field goals.
4. Running back: If healthy, Phillip Lindsay is the starter and one of the best in the Pac-12. But, the Buffs need one or two others to emerge and become consistent contributors. Sophomore Beau Bisharat and senior Michael Adkins are the front-runners for those spots, but Bisharat has yet to carry much of a load in college and Adkins has a long history of injuries. Both need a great camp. Senior Donovan Lee and true freshman Alex Fontenot are also in the mix, and junior Kyle Evans — last year's No. 2 running back — is expected to return at some point in camp after an offseason hip injury.
5. Outside linebacker: This is another spot with one position settled. Senior Derek McCartney is expected to start and he's got a lot of experience. The competition for the other spot got more interesting this week when junior N.J. Falo was dismissed from the team. The Buffs will need juniors Terran Hasselbach or Michael Mathewes, freshman Dante Sparaco or someone else to step up. Hasselbach has the most experience, but Sparaco — who enrolled in January — has turned some heads already.