1. Alabama (10-0; Last week: 1; Actual rank: 1)
Anyone else get the sense that the rest of the country is battling to figure out who gets beat by Alabama in the playoffs?
2. Ohio State (9-1; LW: 5; Actual: 2)
Back-to-back 62-3 wins have the Buckeyes on a roll. They need help to get into the Big Ten title game, though.
3. Louisville (9-1; LW: 6; Actual 3)
Cardinals have won five in a row and look as good as any team in the country.
4. Michigan (9-1; LW: 2; Actual: 4)
The Wolverines were dominant all season until a surprising 14-13 loss at Iowa. Wolverines still control the Big Ten East if they can win out.
5. Wisconsin (8-2; LW: 7; Actual: 6)
Badgers are two wins away from the Big Ten title game. Win that, and they could be headed to the playoffs.
6. Oklahoma (8-2; LW: 8; Actual: 8)
Sooners routed Baylor and have won seven in a row. They'll have a chance to make a big statement at West Virginia this week.
7. Clemson (9-1; LW: 4; Actual: 5)
Tigers have spent most of the season playing with fire, and it cost them with a loss to Pitt. Tigers still in good shape in their quest for a national title.
8. Washington (9-1; LW: 3; Actual: 7)
Huskies finally got tested, and failed the test with a 26-13 loss at home to USC.
9. Penn State (8-2; LW: 12; Actual: 9)
Nittany Lions have won six in a row and their last two games are against teams with a combined 5-15 record.
10. Oklahoma State (8-2; LW: 13; Actual: 13)
Cowboys have won the last two by a combined seven points, but their win streak is now at six.
11. West Virginia (8-1; LW: 14; Actual: 10)
Mountaineers lost their one game against a great team (Oklahoma State). We'll find out if they're a real contender this week when they host Oklahoma.
12. Utah (8-2; LW: 15; Actual: 11)
Utes bounced back from a loss to Washington to roll past Arizona State. I've got them a spot above Colorado because their best win (against USC) is better than CU's best win (Stanford).
13. Colorado (8-2; LW: 16; Actual: 12)
The offense got back on track in a 49-24 rout of Arizona. Buffs have a great opportunity over the next couple weeks against Washington State and Utah.
14. Western Michigan (10-0; LW: 19; Actual: 14)
Good teams around the country keep losing, while the Broncos keep winning.
15. Southern Cal (7-3; LW: 21; Actual: 15)
Three early losses this season buried the Trojans, which is a shame now, because this team is playing like one of the five or 10 best in the land.
16. Washington State (8-2; LW: 18; Actual: 20)
AP voters and the CFP committee aren't as high on the Cougars, but they've been very good throughout an eight-game winning streak.
17. Florida State (7-3; LW: 17; Actual: 17)
Seminoles made it look easy against a bad Boston College team last week.
18. Auburn (7-3; LW: 9; Actual: 18)
A week ago, the Tigers had everything - an SEC title, spot in the CFP - in front of them. Then, they blew it with a 13-7 loss at Georgia.
19. LSU (6-3; LW: 23; Actual: 16)
Tigers dominated Arkansas last week to rebound from a loss to Alabama.
20. Florida (7-2; LW: 22; Actual: 21)
Gators slipped past South Carolina and continue to lead the SEC East.
21. Texas A&M (7-3; LW: 10; Actual: 23)
Aggies have lost their starting QB and now they've lost three out of four.
22. North Carolina (7-3; LW: 11; Actual: Unranked)
Disappointing one-point loss to Duke for the Tar Heels, who had a shot to take control of the ACC Coastal.
23. Nebraska (8-2; LW: 24; Actual: 19)
After two straight losses, the Cornhuskers got back on track with a 24-17 win against Minnesota.
24. Houston (8-2; LW: Unranked; Actual: Unranked)
The Cougars have won two in a row and have a great chance to play spoiler if they knock off Louisville this week.
25. San Diego State (9-1; LW: Unranked; Actual: 24)
Aztecs have recovered from a tough midseason loss to win six in a row.
Arkansas (6-4; LW: 20; Actual: Unranked): Every time I think this team might be pretty good, it loses. They're solid; they're not Top 25.
Baylor (6-3; LW: 25; Actual: Unranked): We knew the second half of the year would be the true test for this team. So far they're 0-3 in the second half, losing the last two by a combined 61 points.
Knocking on the door (3 teams I have next in line)
Boise State (9-1; Actual ranking: 22): For me, the No. 25 spot was almost a coin flip between San Diego State and Boise State, the two best teams in the Mountain West.
Troy (8-1; Actual ranking: 25): Trojans have had a solid season. Their best performance came in their loss, 30-24 against Clemson.
Virginia Tech (7-3): Hokies had a tough loss to Georgia Tech, 30-20, but still should win the ACC Coastal.
Contact staff writer Brian Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter.com/BrianHowell33.