MILWAUKEE — Colorado scored two unanswered goals in the second half to complete a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Marquette on Thursday. The win keeps the Buffs unbeaten, improving to 5-0-1.

Marquette got the action started early, giving Colorado keeper Jalen Tompkins her first action moments after the opening kickoff. The Buffs controlled the half from that point forward, keeping possession inside the Marquette zone. Senior Jorian Baucom totaled three of CU's 10 first-half shots, including putting two on net.

The Golden Eagles caught the game's first break early into the second half. A collision in the Colorado defensive zone caused a scramble and Marquette's Jamie Kutey was the beneficiary, slipping the ball past Tompkins.

Marquette continued to push the tempo in the second, stealing the momentum away from the Buffs. Tompkins stood tall in net to keep the deficit at one. She also got involved on the offensive side of the ball. Marquette fouled the Buffs at midfield and Tompkins ran up to take the free kick. Her ball sailed into the box and off the head of a Marquette defender to get the Buffs even in the 69th minute.

"Sometimes you get the equalizer and you relax," CU coach Danny Sanchez said. "I thought we turned up our play. We put a lot of pressure on them. Credit to their goalkeeper. I thought she made some world class saves. We felt the goal was coming."


Colorado took advantage of the Marquette error and put together a string of late scoring chances. Tatum Barton had a prime opportunity in the 76th minute but had her shot tipped high over the night by Marquette goalie Maddy Henry. Marty Puketapu followed up with a strong header attempt that was pushed wide by Henry in the 78th minute.

The Buffs efforts paid off in the 85th minute. Junior Kelsey Aaknes sent a long centering ball into Megan Massey at the top of the eight. Massey put her head on the ball and caught just enough of it to redirect it past Henry for the game winner.

"It was a great individual effort from Kelsey and a really nice finish from Megan to kill the game off," Sanchez said.

Tompkins closed the night matching her season high with four saves.