The University of Colorado women's tennis team upset No. 59 Arizona, coming back from dropping the doubles point and winning the match 4-3 on Sunday at the South Campus Tennis Complex.
The win was CU's first Pac-12 conference win of the season and improves the Buffs record to 6-7, 1-1 Pac-12. Arizona drops to 9-7 (0-4 Pac-12).
It was CU's first win against a ranked opponent since it beat the then ranked No. 67 University of Denver Pioneers on April 3, 2015. It was also the Buffs' first win against a ranked Pac-12 opponent since they defeated the then ranked No. 59 Oregon Ducks on March 29, 2013.
Doubles play began strong for the Buffs but the Wildcats would come back to take the doubles point 2-0.
The first win came at the number three spot, when the CU doubles team of freshman Brigitte Beck and senior Alex Aiello dropped their match against the UA team of sophomore Devin Chypyha and freshman Camila Wesbrooks 6-2. The Buffs women won the first two games in the set, but were unable to hold the early lead and the Wildcat team roared back to win six straight games for the win.
The biggest win of the day for the Buffs came at the number one spot when junior Nuria Ormeño Ruiz defeated nationally-ranked No. 27 Lauren Marker in three sets 6-1, 1-6, 6-3.
Colorado 4, No. 59 Arizona 3
1. Ormeño Ruiz, Nuria (CU) def. No. 27 Marker, Lauren (UA) 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
2. Daniel, Jeannez (CU) def. Austin, Shayne (UA) 7-6(4), 6-4
3. Aiello, Alex (CU) def. Wesbrooks, Camila (UA) 6-4, 6-3
4. Andrinopoulos, Annabelle (CU) def. Chypyha, Devin (UA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Czarniak, Samantha (UA) def. Wojcik, Kyra (CU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Thomas, Sophia (UA) def. Beck, Brigitte (CU) 7-6(2), 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 2*, 6
1. No. 47 Marker, Lauren/Austin, Shayne (UA) def. Daniel, Jeannez/Andrinopoulos, Annabelle (CU) 6-2
2. Ormeño Ruiz, Nuria/Wojcik, Kyra (CU) v Czarniak, Samantha/Hendrikx, Inge (UA) DNF
3. Chypyha, Devin/Wesbrooks, Camila (UA) def. Beck, Brigitte/Aiello, Alex (CU) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1*