1. Alabama (4-0) - The Tide keep rolling and coasted through Kent State on Saturday.
2. Clemson (4-0) - The Tigers weren't overwhelming, but beat a solid Georgia Tech squad last week to stay unbeaten.
3. Ohio State (3-0) - After a bye, the Buckeyes will have a couple of easy games to open Big Ten play.
4. Louisville (4-0) - Another week, another season win for the Cardinals, who crushed Marshall 59-28.
5. Michigan (4-0) - The Wolverines are off to a stellar start and pounded a decent Penn State team, 49-10.
6. Stanford (3-0) - It took a furious rally in the final minute, but the Cardinal remained unbeaten and have now defeated both of the favorites in the Pac-12 South.
7. Houston (4-0) - Cougars crushed Texas State, as expected.
8. Washington (4-0) - Huskies needed OT, but stayed unbeaten and won their Pac-12 opener over Arizona.
9. Tennessee (4-0) - Most impressive win of the season so far for the Vols, who rallied past Florida, 38-28.
10. Baylor (4-0) - Bears finally played somebody good and waltzed past Oklahoma State.
11. Miami (3-0) - The Hurricanes were on bye last week and now face a tough stretch over the next several weeks.
12. Texas A&M (4-0) - Aggies have been impressive this year, and crushed a good Arkansas squad, 45-24.
13. Florida State (3-1) - Nice rebound game for the Seminoles. After getting pounded by Louisville, they rolled past South Florida.
15. Michigan State (2-1) - Spartans must have had a let-down after the big win against Notre Dame a week earlier.
16. Mississippi (2-2) - Rebels are the best two-loss team in the country. They've lost to Florida State and Alabama, but showed their strength in routing Georgia.
17. Oklahoma (1-2) - Sooners were on bye last week, and needed it. Despite slow start, I still think this is a top-20 team.
18. San Diego State (3-0) - Aztecs were also on bye, and really ought to cruise from here on out.
19. Texas (2-1) - Another team that had a bye last week. We'll learn a lot about the Longhorns the next two weeks as they face Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.
20. TCU (3-1) - Easy victory against SMU for the Horned Frogs, who are hitting their stride.
21. Nebraska (4-0) - Cornhuskers continue to get the job done, this time on the road at Northwestern.
22. Boise State (3-0) - Easy win for the Broncos at Oregon State, who improved to 2-0 against the Pac-12.
23. Utah (4-0) - Utes are proving me wrong to this point. I thought they'd struggle this year, but they keep getting the job done.
24. Colorado (3-1) - First time in two years of doing this poll that I've had the Buffs in here. Even if Oregon is down, it's still impressive for CU to go into Eugene and steal a win.
25. Georgia (3-1) - I've thought the Bulldogs were overrated this season, and they sure looked like it against Ole Miss, losing by 31.
LSU (2-2) - Easily one of the most disappointing teams in the country this year. The Tigers were unimpressive once again in a loss to Auburn.
Arkansas (3-1) - After a strong 3-0 start, the Razorbacks were humbled by Texas A&M.
Notre Dame (1-3) - There's too much talent for this team to be 1-3, and yet, here they are.
Knocking on the door
The three teams I have next in line for Top 25 spots:
Arkansas (3-1) - See above.
North Carolina (3-1) - Tar Heels have won three in a row since an opening day loss to Georgia.
Auburn (2-2) - Not sure what to make of this team, really. Their losses are not bad losses (Clemson and A&M), and they got a nice win against LSU.
Contact staff writer Brian Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter.com/BrianHowell33.